[Profile]


Name: Allec Ribeiro.
Age: 21 years old.
Birthday: 08/06/1991.
Bio: I like videogames and old anime.

[Archives]


Click here to see all old posts, sorted by month (but in a single page), and maybe a little more.


[Links]


My Backloggery
Konoha Cosplay
Poring Pelters
Smash Bros. DOJO!


[Partners]


Dead Like Me
Angevon's Fantasy Life
Snowdrop-Suu


[Credits]


Blogger
Enterbrain
[9/08/2010]


(This is an old post, from the old version of this blog. I did not update it in any way.)

Nobody has such a bad luck installing new things as I do.

Eons ago (last year or so), I had something cool recommended to me (actually mentioned to my friend Angevon and then recommended to me by her) by Rogutaan: a Final Fantasy Tactics map viewer!

I love FFT, so naturally I wanted to take a closer look at the maps — there are a bunch of little details, and the textures are great, plus there maps you only get to see once or twice in-game. I even wanted to do a webcomic with it, but didn't because I suck.

Eventually, the map viewer disappeared completely from my mind and then a bunch of things happened and now I have a new PC and the point is I felt the urge to use the program again for even more sinister purposes which you will discover soon.

But, see, the map viewer didn't like to be tossed aside.

Everything went wrong. First and foremost, my disc went blank, and I couldn't extract the .gns files. Since you need them to actually use the program, it didn't matter if it worked or not. I tried downloading from different sources and even burning a new disc; nothing but a waste of resources. What I really needed to extract the files was CDmag, and at first, that didn't work either.

After some work, I finally got the files I needed. I double-clicked the map2gl.exe, full of hope, but of course it wouldn't work, and to make a point it closed itself before I could even check just what had gone wrong in the command prompt.

Duuuuuuuuuuuude.

I did my research and found out there was another map program for FFT called Ganesha that was made by the same guy that made the map viewer I wanted to use. Worth a shot, right? Since this rig apparently doesn't have hardwire-accelerated openGL, I had to edit a source file for it to work, only to find out I should've payed more attention to the description: Ganesha is a map editor, not a viewer, and thus it runs on gray-scale for speed issues.

Amazingly, I didn't give up. I had sought help from the folks at the ffhacktics forums a while back. I actually used to lurk there; although I think the people themselves are very nice, I don't agree with the general view that the PSP translation is the better one. Sorry, but I'm not interested in faux-Shakespearean dialogue, and to be honest, I also don't really care for balance.

So, I can't contribute nor fit in.

Anyway, some tried to help me but none were able to. Then again, how could they?

Photobucket

I really felt I was being trolled at this point:

Photobucket

I did manage to make it work, though — turns out my openGL driver was out of date and I needed a new version of the ATI Catalyst. Ganesha actually pointed this out (that bit about not having hardwire-accelerated drivers), but I guess I just didn't pay attention to it.

I mean, a Python error message, how can I trust that?

Photobucket

It was worth it, though.

Labels:



Por Allec Ribeiro às [8:09 PM]


0 comments